- Don’t forget to water. We are still in drought.
- Do not apply fertilizers, so as to allow plants to harden better before winter
- Continue to deadhead
- Prune plants to keep in desired space.
- Cut back finished, “tired” plants to make room for late bloomers
- Aster and mums can be cut back by 4-6 in. to delay bloom, though at the expense of floral abundance.
- Cut back any insect or disease-plagued foliage. ( Do not put in compost pile and clean pruning equipment with water and vinegar or bleach solution)
- Plant with caution.
- Design beds and order plants for autumn planting.
- Bearded iris. Oriental poppies and peonies can be divided now.
- Continue to feed your pile with food scrapes
- Be wary of adding leaf scorched plant material, unless you are positive the plants had no disease or fungus problems.
- Add water to pile to keep moist.
- Turn the pile often.