6 Gardening To-Dos for September
With the cooler temperatures and a wide selection of fall plants at nursery centers, this month is a great time to get your garden ready for next spring. But don’t forget to enjoy the beauty of Autumn in Central Illinois. Happy Gardening….
- Plant new trees, shrubs and perennials. Consider planting drought tolerant plants….Links include list of drought tolerant plants. Morton Arboretum native Plant list; Birds and Blooms list; Highland Gardens
- Plant annuals (ie. Mums, cabbages and kale) for fall color.
- Rejuvenate Containers. Tidy up your summer containers, deadhead plants, prune back or remove spent foliage. For inspiration check out Garden Design for idea.
- Core aerate and over seed lawn.
- Continue to water the garden during dry spells. Consistent watering in fall helps plants prepare for winter.
- Pull weeds before they set seed to prevent even more weeds next spring.